If you’re planning to attend Champions Circle 2022 in August, there are a few things you’ll want to know for navigating the new normal of international travel post-COVID.
First off, it’s international travel, so you will need a passport. Processing time for passports can vary widely based on demand, so if you need to get or renew a passport, plan to start early. Bermuda requires that your passport be valid for at least 90 days after your departure, and they recommend at least 6 months of validity before traveling to Bermuda. So if your current passport is due to expire in the near future, go ahead and renew it before you fly.
You will also need to submit special documents for the post-COVID era. Bermuda’s Quarantine Authority is a government agency that oversees all visitors to the island. Before you fly, you’ll need to apply for a Bermuda Travel Authorization through the official website. You’ll need your flight and arrival details to complete the form, so once your flight has been booked, you can submit your authorization request up to one month before your arrival. You’ll also need to submit documentation for your current vaccination status with your request. *Note, you have the option to book a test for your return. At this time, you will not need to sign up for a test to return to the US. You can decline this option.
Once you’ve submitted the authorization, the Bermuda Quarantine Authority will review your request and send you an email link to submit a negative COVID-19 test before your flight. This must be an antigen test (PCR, NAAT, LAMP, or TMA) taken no more than 4 days before your arrival in Bermuda. When booking a test, look carefully at the expected result timelines. With many testing providers, PCR tests are sent out to independent labs and may take several days to return results depending on the lab’s capacity. NAAT tests are often processed on-site and usually return results within a few hours. You can usually book these tests at local pharmacies & clinics (i.e. Walgreens, CVS, grocery store pharmacies, etc.)
Once you receive your negative results, you will upload the documentation to your Travel Authorization and request final approval. You will receive an email with the final approval document to download, save, and print, if possible. Your airline will likely request that you submit your travel authorization as part of your check-in for your flight, and you will need to show your Travel Authorization document as you proceed through immigration and customs after landing. It’s also a good idea to have a copy of your proof of vaccination and your negative test results as a backup.
If that’s a lot to read, here is a simple FAQ to help. Your event team will be watching the travel requirements closely over the next few months, and we will notify all guests of any changes.
- What does Bermuda currently require for travelers arriving by air?
- Approved Bermuda Travel Authorization form
- Vaccination card as proof of a complete vaccine schedule of the Moderna, Pfizer, or Johnson & Johnson COVID vaccines. Your final shot must be completed at least 14 days before traveling. Boosters are not required at this time.
- For visitors aged 12 and older, a negative Covid test (PCR, NAAT, LAMP, or TMA) within 4 days of arrival or a supervised antigen test within 2 days of arrival.
- What information/documentation do I need to take with me when flying into Bermuda?
- A copy of the negative test results that you submitted with your Travel Authorization
- Vaccination card
- Your approved Travel Authorization form
- Does Bermuda require vaccine boosters?
- Bermuda does not currently require a booster at this time.
- How can I get a medical exemption?
- Visitors seeking medical exemptions must submit a letter from a licensed physician documenting the medical contraindication to the Bermuda Medical Exception Authority. If approved, the visitor will receive a notice of medical exemption that must be submitted with the required Travel Authorization form.
- Additional information can be found here: https://www.gov.bm/are-you-unimmunised
- Do they require masks at the hotel?
- Currently, the Hamilton Princess only requires that staff wear masks. Visitors are not required to wear marks.
- If I am unable to attend because I am not vaccinated, is there any other bonus/compensation?
- If you are unable to attend, you will receive a $100 gift card and a letter from our CEO to help you celebrate with us from home.
- What is required to return to the US after visiting Bermuda?
- Currently, there is no testing requirement to return to the US. We will update attendees if there are any changes to this requirement.
- Is SHC going to reimburse the $40 Travel Authorization Form fee for myself and my spouse/partner?
- SHC will reimburse for employees’ and guests’ $40 Travel Authorization fee. Submit your expense in Concur.
With a little planning, the process is very easy, and you’ll be in Bermuda enjoying a Rum Swizzle before you know it!